Wednesday, 21st September 2016
GBBO Steak and ale pie
With the temperature dropping day by day, there is nothing more comforting than a pie. It also happens to be Pastry Week here at Gorenje’s Big Bake Off, so the perfect time to make the warming delight. Beautiful flaky pastry filled to the brim with succulent, melt in the mouth steak, and swimming in gravy – what could be better?
Pies began their journey to our plates in Ancient Roman times, but the enclosed pie we know and love today was first crafted in Northern Europe. Back in the good old days, pies were normally filled with meat and so we’re taking a leaf out of their books with this succulent steak and boozy ale pie.
- 800g braising beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 400g button mushrooms, stems removed
- 300ml beef stock
- 250ml Guinness, or any other dark ale
- 2tsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 375g block ready-made butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a bowl, place the beef and flour. Season well and toss to coat the beef.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan. Add the beef and cook until brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat more oil in the pan. Throw in the onion and cook until softened. Add the button mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Pour in the beef stock, Guinness, tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and the browned beef. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer for an hour or until the beef is tender and falls apart.
- Put the mixture into a pie dish and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to 5mm thickness. Brush the sides of the pie dish with water and place the pastry lid on top. With a fork, press around the edges of the pie dish to secure the lid and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and serve immediately. We love pairing our pie with mountains of creamy mash and of course, extra gravy!
We think this pie is the perfect winter warmer. Do send us your pictures if you’ve been inspired! You can get in touch via Twitter
or our Facebook