The Perfect Pumpkin Pie
This English twist on the traditional American pumpkin pie is essential for those cosy autumn nights. Made with fresh pumpkin, it is perfect for the whole family.
Preperation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 10-30 mins
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- 500g pumpkin, cooked and pureed
- 1 tin evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 175g soft dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg and salt
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 350g sweet shortcrust pastry (ready-made or homemade)
- Place the cubed and peeled pumpkin into a large saucepan of boiling water, simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the pumpkin and allow to cool then mash until smooth.
- Heat oven to 180°c /160°c fan /gas mark 4.
- Roll out the pastry to fit a 22cm loose-bottom tart tin, allow to chill for 15 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and baking beans and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the base is a pale golden colour, then allow to cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°c /200°c fan /gas mark 7.
- Mix together the evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, spices and salt.
- Add the milk, egg and sugar mixture to the pumpkin and mix together until they have combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°c /160°c fan /gas mark 4 and continue to bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling has set.
- Leave to cool, then remove the pie and dust with the remaining cinnamon and icing sugar. Served chilled.
For an exciting twist why not replace the
pumpkin for butternut squash.
If you liked this recipe, you can find
others on our food
simplified blog hub, or follows us on Twitter or Facebook for more product updates, lifestyle and home inspiration.
Personal factory of perfect taste: built-in ovens
HomeMade shape The characteristic rounded shape is one of the most beneficial features of Gorenje ovens. Inspired by traditional wood-burning ovens, it enables hot air to move around freely. Since the food is heated evenly and from all sides, it is always perfectly done: crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
You might also like to read: