How to clean your washing machine
It’s important to regularly clean your washing machine to
ensure your laundry is fresh and dirt-free. There are four key areas that
harbour grime; the detergent drawer, the drum, the seal and the filter all need
to be tackled to ensure your machine is squeaky clean. Following the steps
below, just once a month, can help boost your machine’s cleaning power, helping
your whites come out sparkling.
The detergent drawer
The detergent drawer regularly suffers from a build-up of residue, crystallised detergent and, if left untreated, mould!
To begin, gently remove the drawer from the machine (referencing the product manual if necessary).
You then have two options:
1. Place the drawer in the top tray of your dishwasher and run a regular cycle – voila!
2. Soak the drawer in hot, soapy water, then using an old (clean) toothbrush remove product build-up and dirt.
In both cases, allow the drawer to dry before returning it to the machine. This helps reduce the dampness needed for bacteria and mould to grow.
If there is an unpleasant smell arising from your machine, the chances are it’s coming from the drum! This is one area that is not only rife with detergent build up, but the damp, warm atmosphere is a breeding ground for bacteria. However, fear not as this tried and tested method, using natural, cupboard essentials will help eliminate your problem.
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup water
1. Create a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and water in a small bowl, then add this into the detergent container in your machine.
2. Following this, pour the vinegar into the drum and run your washer on its hottest water setting. The combination of baking soda and vinegar naturally breaks up mineral deposits whilst also refreshing your machine.
3. Leave the machine door open once the cycle has ended, allowing the drum to ventilate.
If you don’t clean the door seal of your machine regularly, a build-up of excess detergent and dirt can lead to mould growth. If this has already happened, soak a towel in white distilled vinegar and tuck into the seal, leave this for a couple of hours to help break down any stubborn grime, then wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Gently wiping the door opening and seal with warm water before and after each wash will stop any dirt from building up and transferring to your freshly washed clothes.
Over time small items from your laundry such as lint, dog hair, coins and keys can build up in your drain pump filter. This may cause issues such as: clothes being wet after washing, a vibrating washing machine, longer wash cycle times, washer stops and pauses, or the door staying locked.
To help avoid these issues clean your filter regularly using the directions below:
- Locate the small access door to your drain pump filter. This is often on the bottom right or left side at the front of the machine.
- Get a small bowl, tray and towel and put directly under the opening.
- Turn the filter anti-clockwise to remove it and let all the water drain out into your chosen vessel. If you are expecting a lot of water, you may want to empty this in staggered, smaller amounts.
- Clean out any debris or residue in and around the filter.
- Remove the filter and rinse under hot water to clean.
- Clean where the filter slides in with a damp cloth.
- Reinstall the filter and turn clockwise to lock it in place.
For laundry that is extra clean, consider a washing machine that has specialist features such as a WaveActive drum, boasting a unique 3D wave pattern that ensures perfectly clean laundry with minimum wrinkles. Detergent optimisation attributes, such as DoseAid, make it easy to use the correct amount of product with any load, so you can rest assured you’re using detergent in the most economical and healthy way, reducing residue build up in the drum, seal and filter. You can find these features on our WS168LNST washing machine, read more about them here
Gorenje WaveActive washing machines are made to get the dirty work done in an effective, easy-to-handle and eco-friendly manner.
WaveActive washing features include cutting-edge cleaning technologies:
- Uniquely designed drum with special wave-shaped 3D ribs for the softest garments treatment
- IonTech using the power of ions, thus ensuring optimum washing results
- SteamTech effectively rehydrating and breaking down the dirt
You might also like to read: